Simon

Simon
The Shadow Of Time

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tuesdays are Nothin'!

1. I heard a song on the radio this morning about how Tuesdays are the worst days of the week - Wednesday's at least halfway through the week, Thursday's the day before Friday, Friday and Saturday and Sunday are just plain awesome, and Monday's bad and all, but Tuesday? What's Tuesday got? Nothin'!

It made me think of Darcey and Curtis, and I wanted to send it to them, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet when I got to work. Not even on the site of the radio station that just played it. Figures. Cuz it's Tuesday and all. But it still made me laugh.

2. On the way to work this morning, I stopped next to a guy at the Weber/Uintah stoplight, and he motioned at me to roll my window down. So I did. He just wanted to let me know that my driver's side headlight wasn't working (which I knew, but had forgotten about). Who does that these days? Nice people. That's who. Thanks, man! I really should get that fixed...

3. Sometimes you have one of those days that works nicely as a microcosm of an issue that you've been trying to come to a conclusion about for some time.

For instance, today started off sucky. Just in general, before I even left the house. Then, in the first few minutes of the day-long meeting I was in, things went even worse, and I made my mind up that the day was a waste. But THEN, it got better with some hard work, dedication and optimism from my colleagues. And it was a success with a bright and foreseeable future.

And this day was exactly like a relationship I've been working on for the last three years. Started off horrible (for good reason). And I had a bad attitude (which was justified, in my mind, but still inexcusable). And then (over the course of three years, not just a day) with a lot of work, and humility, and learning from each of us - BAM! The forecast is good, with a bright and foreseeable future.

Funny how life works.

4. Saw more of my students today (even though I wasn't in the classroom) than I have in a week. I miss them. Especially when they say things like, "I was just going to come up to the office to see you!" (at 7:15 am on a 2 hour delay day) or "You look so great! Have you been on vacation in Mexico? You look so tan! What have you done with your hair? You handle life with such grace. I wish I could be like you!" (after school).

Man, you wouldn't believe this stuff if I was making it up! So, I'm happy to say, I'm not! I work with some of the best people in the world: smart, driven, and exceptionally flattering students! :)

5. Miles texted me today, as he often randomly does: "watching that 70's show where red eats pot brownies. thought of you." My sister told me the same thing about the same episode a couple of days ago. It really is a riot. But what makes me smile is that so many of my friends know it's my favorite. And they think to tell me about it.

It's the little things.

6. I saved my one glass of wine for the quiet hour(s) after the kids go to sleep. Good choice: me, some wine, some silence, and some list making.

Jack just crawled out of bed, as he's prone to do when he knows his parents are staying up later than he is. He likes to sneak up to the bannister (our second story is lofted) and breathe loudly and awkwardly until you notice him. I just did. I ask him if he knows what time it is, and he says, "yes." But then he reminds me that I told him he could sleep anywhere in the house as long as it's not in my room. This is true. And he remembers it whenever he needs to. So, now he's sound asleep on the couch next to me, covered in his Broncos blanket, snoring away.

Kids. And wine. And snoring.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment