Simon

Simon
The Shadow Of Time

Thursday, April 15, 2010

First Thunderstorm of the Year

I wonder if my incessant fascination with weather comes from my Minnesota upbringing. Or if it's just some strange obsession separate from that. Either way, I love the weather. And I especially love weather that other people (especially weathermen) deem "bad." What's so good about the sun shining all the time anyway? What's so good about heat (even if it's a "dry heat")? I much prefer clouds, wind, rain and snow...


I walked out of an 8 hour meeting today ready to enjoy the cool breeze of the Colorado spring, and was greeted by torrents of rain. I stood at the door for a moment, contemplating my options. My car was parked a block and a half away. I was wearing sandals. I had no jacket. I had no umbrella.


I really had no choice.


So out I went into the rain, a bit put off at first by the amount of water already collecting in my hair and between my toes. And then, the thunder cut into my consciousness. And I smiled. I relaxed my shoulders and let the rain wash over me during the 2 minute walk to my car. It's not like I could run or skip - I'm 7 months pregnant. So I just let it be. And it was refreshing to let go, once again, of my incessant need to control everything around me.


By the time I got to the car, I was grateful for the warm jacket I found in the trunk, but I certainly wasn't the least bit annoyed with the slow and jaunty journey which had thoroughly soaked me from head to toe. Instead, I felt baptized and refreshed by the opportunity to walk slowly through the elements over which I had no control.


Sometimes what we want doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes we just have to take what we get and be grateful for the getting.


Life is not about waiting for storms to pass. It is about learning how to dance in the rain.

1 comment:

  1. April Rain Song

    BY LANGSTON HUGHES

    Let the rain kiss you.
    Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.
    Let the rain sing you a lullaby.

    The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk.
    The rain makes running pools in the gutter.
    The rain plays a little sleep-song on our roof at night—

    And I love the rain.

    ReplyDelete